AAPI LBGTQ Resources
Aligning with our mission to advance mental health and wellness for all Asian Americans, AAPA is committed to advocating for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer Asian Americans. Below, we have compiled the following resources in supporting the AAPI LGBTQ community.
- Asian Pride Project (http://asianprideproject.org/) – “an online space for family and friends of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) Asian & Pacific Islander (API) people. It is a place to share our stories and experiences with each other, in the languages of our communities, in video, sound, pictures, and words. Together, we can move towards understanding and celebrating our families and friends for who they are.”
- The National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance (http://www.nqapia.org/wpp/) – “The National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance is a network of Asian, South Asian, Southeast Asian, and Pacific Islander LGBTQ organizations.”
- The Visibility Project (http://www.visibilityproject.org/) – “A national portrait + video collection dedicated to the Queer Asian American Women & Trans* community. The Visibility Project breaks barriers through powerful imagery and storytelling.”
- Coming Out: Living Authentically as LGBTQ Asian and Pacific Islander Americans by Human Rights Campaign Foundation (https://assets2.hrc.org/files/assets/resources/HRC-Coming_Out-API-FINAL-web-2018.pdf) -LGBTQ resource guide helping Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders with the coming out process.
- The Importance of Gender Affirming Care for Transgender and Gender Expansive Youth (https://nursinglicensemap.com/blog/the-importance-of-gender-affirming-care-for-transgender-and-gender-expansive-youth/)
Regional Resources: New York
- PFLAG NYC API Project (http://www.pflagnyc.org/content/api-project-helping-asian-families-stay-close-lgbt-loved-ones)- “a new initiative of PFLAG NYC to help families and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals of Asian & Pacific Islander (API) backgrounds”
Regional Resources: California
- Asian and Pacific Islanders for LGBT Equality – Los Angeles (http://apiequalityla.org/)- “API Equality-LA’s mission is to build power in the Asian and Pacific Islander community to achieve LGBTQ equality and racial and social justice.”
- Asian Pacific Islander Queer Women and Transgender Community (http://www.apiqwtc.org/resources/api-lgbt-groups/)- Based in Bay Area, “APIQWTC seeks to build an infrastructure to bring local API queer groups together to socialize, organize, politicize, and promote pride and visibility of API queer women and transgender people in the queer API communities, here and abroad.”